Finally!
So it’s been five years. Five years today when my dad died. And the phone call that I had been waiting for came through last Friday. Several unsuccessful attempts had been made to retrieve my dad’s medals from WWII over the years including one attempt made by me shortly before dad died. Courtesy of a congressman’s office we finally received dad’s medals.
They said it was the largest medal retrieval this office has even done.
I grinned.
I beamed.
My heart raced.
When I left the congressman’s office I cried. I was glad it was raining. I could blame my smudged makeup on the rain instead of the storm of emotions from a silly little girl getting overwhelmed with something she had wanted to accomplish for years and finally did. The heavy sigh of relief, release—whatever you want to call it. It was done.
Over.
A job finished.
Even though I had my bright yellow rain coat wrapped tightly around me it was the contents of the package that kept me warm. I’m scattered… but I’m allowed to be.
It’s my blog.
And it’s my daddy. And I am so proud of this man. You know the saying about how much smarter your parents get as you age?
**sigh**
Let me tell you a little about my dad and his medals. Some of the phrases used to describe my dad were “tenacity of purpose”, “gallantry in action” and “heroic achievement or service”.
My dad a war hero? Well, I think so!
Dad’s Medals
The Silver Star is awarded for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States not justifying a higher award. It may be awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S Armed Forces, distinguishes himself or herself by extraordinary heroism involving one of the following actions:
- In action against an enemy of the United States
- While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force
- While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party
Awarded for "Gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States”
The Bronze Star Medal is a United States Armed Forces individual military decoration which may be awarded for bravery, acts of merit, or meritorious service. When awarded for bravery, it is the fourth-highest combat award of the U.S. Armed Forces and the ninth highest military award (including both combat and non-combat awards) in the order of precedence of U.S. military decorations.
Awarded for “Heroic or meritorious achievement or service”
The Purple Heart is a United States military decoration awarded in the name of the President to those who have been wounded or killed while serving on or after April 5, 1917 with the U.S. military. The National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is located in New Windsor, New York. The original idea for the Purple Heart (the Badge of Military Merit) is the oldest symbol and award that is still given to members of the U.S. military, surpassed in history only by the long obsolete Fidelity Medallion.
Awarded for "Being wounded or killed in any action against an enemy of the United States or as a result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces"
His name was even engraved on the back of those three medals.
The Presidential Unit Citation, originally called the Distinguished Unit Citation, is awarded to units of the Armed Forces of the United States and allies for extraordinary heroism in action against an armed enemy on or after 7 December 1941 (the date of the Attack on Pearl Harbor and the start of American involvement in World War II). The unit must display such gallantry, determination, and esprit de corps in accomplishing its mission under extremely difficult and hazardous conditions so as to set it apart from and above other units participating in the same campaign. The degree of heroism required is the same as that which would warrant award of the Distinguished Service Cross, Air Force Cross or Navy Cross to an individual.
Awarded for gallantry, determination, and esprit de corps in accomplishing its mission under extremely difficult and hazardous conditions."
The American Campaign Medal was a military decoration of the United States armed forces which was first created on November 6, 1942 by Executive Order 9265 issued by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. Originally issued as the “American Theater Ribbon”, the decoration was intended to recognize those service members who had performed duty in the American Theater of Operations during World War II.
To be awarded the American Campaign Medal, a service member was required to either perform one year of consecutive duty within the continental borders of the United States, or perform 30 days consecutive/60 non-consecutive days of duty outside the borders of the United States but within the American Theater of Operations. The American Theater was defined as the entirety of the United States to include most of the Atlantic Ocean, a portion of Alaska, and a small portion of the Pacific bordering California and Baja California.
The European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal is a militar
y decoration of the United States armed forces which was first created on November 6, 1942 by Executive Order 9265 issued by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The decoration was intended to recognize those military service members who had performed military duty in the European Theater (to include North Africa and the Middle East) during the years of the Second World War. Colored bands representing Germany (on the ribbon's right side), Italy (on the ribbon's left side), and the United States (in the center of the ribbon) are visible in the ribbon. The brown and green areas of the ribbon represent the terrain of the area of conflict, which ranged from beaches and sand, to grass and woodlands, to mountains.
Originally known as the “EAME Ribbon”, the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal is awarded for any service performed between December 7, 1941 and March 2, 1946 provided such service was performed in the geographical theater areas of Europe, North Africa, or the Middle East. For those service members who participated in multiple battle campaigns, service stars are authorized to the decoration with the arrowhead device awarded for any airborne or amphibious operations performed. The Fleet Marine Force combat operation insignia is also authorized for certain sailors.
The World War II
Victory Medal is a decoration of the United States military which was created by an act of Congress in July 1945. The decoration commemorates military service during the Second World War and is awarded to any member of the United States military, including members of the armed forces of the Government of the Philippine Islands, who served on active duty, or as a reservist, between December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946.
The Army of
Occupation Medal is a military decoration of the United States military which was established by the United States War Department in 1946. The medal was created in the aftermath of the Second World War to recognize those who had performed occupation service in either Germany or Japan. The original Army of Occupation Medal was intended only for members of the United States Army, but was expanded in 1948 to encompass the United States Air Force shortly after that service's creation.
The Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) is an award of the United States Army which is presented to those officers, warrant officers and enlisted soldiers, in the grade of Colonel and below, who participate in active ground combat while assigned as a member of an infantry or special forces unit, brigade or smaller size, during any period subsequent to December 6, 1941. It, and the simultaneously created Expert Infantryman Badge (EIB) were created with the primary goal of recognizing the sacrifices of the infantrymen who were disproportionately likely to be killed or wounded during World War II.
Awarded for "Personally present and under hostile fire while serving in an assigned infantry or special forces primary duty, in a unit actively engaged in ground combat with the enemy."
A Marksmanship Badge is a military badge of the United States Army which is presented to service members upon successful completion of a weapons qualification course. It is issued in the following three grades (highest first): Expert, Sharpshooter(the level my dad reached), and Marksman. Army recruits can not exit initial training until a qualification of at least Marksman has been obtained.
The United States Army issues marksmanship badges for expert, sharpshooter and marksman qualifications. Suspended from it are component bars that indicate the specific weapons the soldier is qualified for. Only three marksmanship badges are authorized for wear at one time, and each may only have up to three component bars.
The Honorable Service Lapel Button sometimes called the Honorable Service Lapel Pin was awarded to United States military service members who were discharged under honorable conditions during World War II.[1] The award was sometimes slangily called the Ruptured duck.
So this past weekend I presented these medals and awards to mom. As they started to spill from the envelope onto her bed she looked at me in disbelief. Oh that I could save that look from her in my mind forever!
Yeah, you're right.
More tears.
And hugs.
And the understanding look between a mother and a daughter when they both realized that neither had a clue what that man endured for our nation.
Still...we miss him terribly.
Hugs, Happiness and Harmony,
Julie






33 Comments:
At Mon Apr 06, 07:54:00 AM,
Anndi said…
You did good, Julie. I know your father is looking down on you and smiling. *hugs*
At Mon Apr 06, 08:26:00 AM,
Anonymous said…
His service and character and love of country not only is des;ayed in thos ribbons and pieces of metal, but in yourlove for him and in the spirit that moved through him and onto those he may have saved, touched and inspired and to those soldiers' familes, friends and people of circumstance who in turn may have benefitted. The perpetuation will have been and still is, endless.
At Mon Apr 06, 09:16:00 AM,
Travis Cody said…
Brilliant. I'm so happy that you got this done.
At Mon Apr 06, 11:45:00 AM,
Ivanhoe said…
Amazing what one person can achieve. What a wonderful tribute to your dad!
((hugs))
At Mon Apr 06, 12:38:00 PM,
Vinny "Bond" Marini said…
HURRAH!
I know for a fact the trials and tribulations you went through to get these finally.
So happy for you and mom Julie!
At Mon Apr 06, 11:47:00 PM,
j said…
Oh Julie - this gave me chills, happy chills. Your father truly was a hero. Just amazing.
At Tue Apr 07, 04:52:00 AM,
Anonymous said…
Awesome Jules.. so many medals!! Your dad is/was a hero!! You must be so proud!!
So glad you finally got his medals! I know you're thrilled, and I'm thrilled for you!!
huggggggs
luv you!
JoJo
At Tue Apr 07, 01:28:00 PM,
Sarge Charlie said…
I tip my hat to this great American Hero, and to his daughter for loving him enough to complet this mission. I tip my hat to you and wipe the tears from my eyes.
At Tue Apr 07, 02:30:00 PM,
Julie said…
Ann! Yeah I'm betting he smiles at me alot! **grins**
Hope! Thank you so much for stopping here. Your words are like music to my ears. Thanks again!
Travis! Awww thanks dear man.
Ivanhoe! Thanks! I think he was pretty amazing too!
Vinny! So good to see you my friend!
Jen! Happy chills. I like that.
Jojo! Awww thanks for visiting me! Yup I AM so thrilled to finally complete this honor.
Sarge! Your words are special to me. Thank you.
At Tue Apr 07, 08:46:00 PM,
Speedcat Hollydale said…
Julie, I see a lot of posts with comments that are a little "over" reactive. This is not one of them. Even me, being a non emotional type, feel tears in my eyes. Here is not really a story of sadness, but of triumph and victory. I am proud of you, proud of your father, and proud of my country again. I do not think there are words to convey just how this moved me.
Hugs for you, and THANK you for sharing this story.
Eric from Minnesota
At Tue Apr 07, 09:21:00 PM,
Chris said…
What an amazing tribute to an amazing man.
At Tue Apr 07, 09:22:00 PM,
BIBI said…
Beautiful Julie! I came directly from Speedcats' blog where he mentioned your post. I am glad that I decided to do so!
I've read, and cried, read some more, and blew my nose, read some more and went to the bathroom to get MORE tissue.
Your dad is someone to treasure forever and ever. I am truly honored to know you and to read about your beautiful, wonderful, heroic father.
Have a good one!
At Tue Apr 07, 11:16:00 PM,
Mimi Lenox said…
You said I'd need tissues and you were right. Knowing the background of your little surprise still did not prepare me for the magnitude of emotion in this post. This is possibly the best post you've ever written. I hope you somehow tie this in with peace globes and put some of your dad's medals on a globe to honor him.
I'd like to thank him for his service to our country.
And for raising a good-hearted, loving little sunshine Julie with a Morton Salt Box raincoat.
I'm mighty proud of her, too.
At Wed Apr 08, 12:09:00 AM,
Julie said…
Speedy! Wow....those are some wonderful words you put here! Thanks so much for allowing me to share with you.
Chris! Thank you for visiting me! It was my pleasure to share.
BIBI! Good old Speedy! Thanks so much for stopping here!
Mimi! That is a wonderful idea! Perhaps his Purple Heart? I love it! Great thinking!
At Wed Apr 08, 12:40:00 AM,
Cacai M. said…
Wow! that's awesome awards! Everybody wants that but only some did! Am from Speedycat page and he let me redirected again in your page for he loves what you wrote and it implies on him too. He was touched and me too as I read your writing now. It's worth it to read for. Such an incredible dad you have!
At Wed Apr 08, 01:13:00 AM,
AngelBaby said…
This is so beautiful. I know how you feel my husband went to war and he had many medals too. I had them framed in a special way with the Flag that draped my husbands coffin and gave them to our son. It was a very touching moment - one I will never forget. I know how much they mean to our son and that makes me feel better. It was such a big loss when he died.
Love and Blessings,
AngelBaby
At Wed Apr 08, 10:47:00 AM,
Daisy said…
Your dad was a true hero, and I am so glad that his medals are where they belong now.
At Wed Apr 08, 01:36:00 PM,
Sherry said…
I also jumped over here from Speedy's blog. What a wonderful tribute to your father and what a good job he must of done!
At Wed Apr 08, 07:03:00 PM,
Janice said…
wow... *hugs!* I am so happy for you... your post made me cry - reminded me of my grandpa... he was also a war veteran.. i miss him soooo much...
You are and will always be your father's daughter - he has taught and raised you well - I'm sure he's very proud of you wherever he is...
Take care...
At Fri Apr 10, 02:42:00 AM,
Robert A Vollrath said…
Great story. No member of my family has fought in a war in over a hundred years. Members of my family have served during war time but none of these men had to see combat.
Your father fought so the men of my family didn't have too. I thank you for your father's service.
At Fri Apr 10, 06:38:00 AM,
Kim said…
wow..wow...wow.. Julie :)
I'm so glad Speedy posted a link to your wonderful story
I had goosebumps...
you and your Mum must be so very very proud of your Dad and his achievements....
my dear Dad lost his Grandfather and four Uncles in the bloody battles of WW 1 ...
these medals are a legacy for the families...an eternal reminder of the great courage and sacrifices made by brave soldiers all over the world...it was so heartening to read that your Dad's medals have come home :)
At Fri Apr 10, 01:33:00 PM,
Meribah said…
Wow. What a remarkable man your father was! I'm glad you finally got his medals. He would be proud. :)
At Fri Apr 10, 02:27:00 PM,
Julie said…
Cacai! Thanks so much for visiting me. It was an honor to do this for my dad.
Angelbaby! Mom and I are looking for the right case to put dad's flag and medals at together too. Peace to you.
Daisy! It always helps to have a visit from a sweet little kittycat!
Sherry! Thanks for your kind words!
Janice! Seems like I made a lot of people cry. Hopefully happy tears!
Robert! Thank you for sharing your appreciation of my dad.
Kim! Thank you for all your kind words. You summed it up by saying "great courage and sacrifices". Very well put.
Meribah! I know he was remarkable....I just didn't he was THIS remarkable! Thanks for stopping by!
At Fri Apr 10, 03:01:00 PM,
Wendster said…
neither had a clue what that man endured for our nation.
THAT'S where the tears REALLY got me.
And I loved the part about the yellow rain jacket but the warmth came from the package underneath your coat.
SO well written and about such a wonderful subject. Thank you for sharing this.
p.s. My blog is private now so if you want to comment just e mail me at WendyOhW@yahoo.com and I'll get you added to the allowed list.
Thanks to your father for his service.
Awesome man. awesome story.
Wendy
At Sun Apr 12, 02:23:00 PM,
JHS said…
Hi Julie:
You have received the Post of the Day Award from The Rising Blogger.
You can read about it here:
http://www.therisingblogger.com/2009/04/12/juliesjewels/
I could not locate an email address for you, so please contact me for more details and to receive the badge for your site.
Thanks and congratulations!
JHS
At Sun Apr 12, 11:49:00 PM,
Julie said…
Wendy! Thanks for your wonderful words...it means so much when specific phrases are pulled from a story. Your comment is very special to me.
JHS! I am so honored to receive this award. I really am! Post of the Day...me? WOW!!!
At Fri Apr 24, 12:07:00 PM,
John Holland said…
You should be very proud of your dad. My Dad only died coming up on three years ago and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of him and miss him.
At Sun Apr 26, 12:52:00 PM,
maryt/theteach said…
You're a wonderful daughter, Julie, for what you've done for your Dad! :)
At Sun Apr 26, 03:41:00 PM,
Julie said…
John! Yeah....it just doens't stop no matter how long it's been.
Mary! Awww thanks Teach!
At Thu May 21, 10:54:00 PM,
John D. said…
Wow. Just ...WOW.
At Tue May 26, 07:07:00 AM,
Unknown said…
:hugs:
At Mon May 31, 09:05:00 AM,
Speedcat Hollydale said…
big hugs 4 U
At Wed Jun 04, 03:47:00 PM,
jim Hale said…
Julie, thanks for sharing this with me and Pat, your dad was truly a hero and beat me by one metal ranking, I do not have a Silver Star. Thanks to all our veterans and those who are right now serving whereever they might be, keeping us free.
Post a Comment
<< Home